Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2007

the next step was addictive

In the lower left hand corner of Riverhill Cemetery where the lovely lily of the valleys come back each spring, I found the names Benjamin F. Ashe, and Sarah Keen. Town records gave quick confirmation that Benjamin was the Son of John Ashe from Midlothian, Scotland, and his wife from Buckfield, Sweet Polly Richardson. But I wondered who Sarah was. According to the death records in town, she was born in Oxford, Maine 1837. Next stop the history room at the public library. The 'Annals of Oxford' named many Keens, and sure enough Sarah was there too, right toward the bottom of page 215. Her father was Simon S. Keen (1813). I find it extremely satisfying when things make sense and tie together. I think discovery is a basic pleasure, and is alluded to in Proverbs 25 when it says, ' the honour of kings is to search out a matter'. The same day, on the 2nd floor of the library, in what they call 'the cage' due to the fact that the area was kept locked with a chain link fence door, I also found two Keen/Keene Genealogies. I couldn't find Sarah's name, but, whoo hoo, Simon was there! Now I had two previously compiled resources to pour over. How very cool. And as an added little bonus I soon found out the record traced us back directly to Richard Warren of the Mayflower, through his daughter Ann. Not bad for a couple of hours of research.

No comments: